In Pakistan, selecting right studies / career after high school is one of the major problem. Major percentage of students wont get any type of guidance & it poses a question that which line of study should they adopt after clearing secondary school or college exams which is called F.Sc. F.Sc students find it more difficult situation who un-able to get admission in medical or engineering colleges / universities. In our country or even in South Asian countries including India, Bangladesh, Nepal there is no system that may identify the student capabilities and help him in choosing the right type of career studies. For example, if you have more capability and inclination towards arts but you adopt the way (F.Sc) to become a doctor or engineer and then fail to achieve admission resulting in a mess.
If we conduct a survey, then we will going to find that parents are more inclined in making their children’s either Doctor or Engineer. It is not only their dream but also becoming Doctor or Engineer is a sign of prestige and honor in the society and people consider it as the child is very intelligent and hard working. Also, higher earnings are possible by becoming a doctor even you may get good marriage proposal (hehehe….). But since emergence of computer science in late 90’s in Pakistan, students have found a different career path and now job market has opened new areas as well.
Lets see that after doing F.A/F.Sc/ICS (11 & 12th grade) what other careers are available apart from becoming Doctor or Engineer (Civil, Mechanical, Electronics etc) as choice for students within Pakistan which become better source of earning and you can job as well….
- Chartered Accountancy – CA (5 years)
- ACCA (4 years)
- Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA Hons – 4 years)
- MBA especially in Marketing & HR (all time in)
- Software Engineering
- 4 years BS-Hons in Fashion Design – numerous jobs are available as well as you can start career as entrepreneur (I saw very good careers of students by working in Fashion University that students normally start their earnings from minimum Rs.25000/- or above after graduating but it also depend upon that how well reputable your institute is )
- 4 years BS-Hons in Textile Design (Jobs in textile industry or with fashion design companies)
- 4 years BS-Hons in Furniture Design (Jobs in furniture industry or work as an entrepreneur) companies)
- 4 years BS-Hons in Leather Design (Jobs in leather industry or with fashion design companies)
- 4 years BS-Hons in Communication Design (knowledge of technical software’s like Adobe Photoshop, animation etc….many jobs are available with advertising and private Tv channels)
- 5 years degree in Pharmacy (numerous jobs are available in pharmaceutical industry and even you can start your own medical store and jobs are available in hospitals)
- 4 years degree in Journalism / Mass Communication or even Masters (numerous jobs are available since opening of private tv channels in Pakistan)
- Geographical Information System (GIS) – (a high requirement in government and private sector for satellite based making maps)
- Diploma in Civil or Electrical Engineering
- Education Management (M.Phil, Masters)
- BS Hons or MA in Sociology, Anthropology (Career in NGO/Government or social sector but now very few jobs are available)
- Law (LLB or LLM) – but you have to struggle for many years to make your name if there is no one from you family or friends already practicing however this degree help in getting jobs in government and private sector like banks, corporate’s who need law graduates to manage their legal affairs
- Induction in Pakistan Amy / Air force / Navy as a full Commissioned Officer – (You can join these forces directly after doing 12th grade i.e. F.Sc or FA)
There are other career choices which has a very limited jobs in Pakistan
- MS in Chemistry, Physics, Maths (You can only become teacher in college or university otherwise there are very few jobs in market)
- MA in Urdu, English or other languages ( there are very few jobs in market)
- MA Political Science
- Environment Science / Management
- Degree in Quality Assurance
- Arts subjects like Fine Arts, miniature (for which jobs are very few but you can earn by selling your own product or become faculty member in any college or university)
The life time and most powerful career in Pakistan is through these following high government positioned exams held once in a year conducted by Federal or Provincial Public Service Commission which can be attempted after doing graduation and in between 22 to 28 years of age…
- Competitive Exams i.e. called CSS
- Provincial Management Service (PMS)
I will urge never do simple graduation like BA except mixing it with any technical studies because simple BA or MA in any language subjects has no value in Pakistan except you become clerk or driver or waiter or remain jobless.