Milk is a gift of God for the whole humanity and an important part of our diet. Milk is a great source of calcium, which is essential for healthy bones. In Pakistan, majority percentage use cow milk for their diet. Natural & real cow milk is easily found in abundance in the villages and in those small cities where there is no restriction of farming or holding her at home. Where as, in larger cities such as in Lahore, Pakistan, Government wont allow to have cows within their vicinity. So, cow milk is provided to the inhabitants of Metropolitan Cities through the adjacent small cities. Rest of the users use branded packed milk of foreign or local companies with some higher prices than that of natural milk found in open shops.
Foreign branded as well as local companies have used media campaigns to realize the local inhabitants especially of cities that the un-packed milk supplied at the open shops or home to home by cattle farmers is unhygienic as well as don’t have natural ingredients mixed with chemicals where as the packed milk is 100% natural as well as treated in plants and is in accordance with the international standards.
Pakistani citizens have been poisoned by the corporate’s and the local milkmen with contaminated and adulterated milk. Pakistan is the second country in the world where more than 70pc of milk’s adulterated. Reports of Pakistan Council of Scientific Industrial Research (PCSIR) submitted to Supreme Court of Pakistan confirmed the presence of detergent and other dangerous chemicals in not only loose but in also packed milk brands. A report by Punjab Food Authority (PFA) revealed that one local brand contains a chemical called formalin, which is actually used for preserving dead bodies. It was also found to have contained sugarcane juice. Another report of the PCSIR filed with the court stated that except one local brand, all UHT (ultra-high-temperature) standardized milk is fit for consumption, while all pasteurized milk brands except one international brand are unfit for human consumption. (Through reference of a case in Supreme Court of Pakistan)
One lawyer had claimed in his petition to the court that Pakistani citizens have been consuming milk adulterated with different chemicals, including detergent powder. He said the use of contaminated and substandard milk has been leading to serious diseases such as cancer and hepatitis-C in humans, and asked the court to ban the use of contaminated and adulterated milk and water.
Much percentage of supplied milk by adjacent small cities/villages to the larger cities is unhygienic and mixed with some chemicals as well as with water but it is much better then drinking the branded packed milk. Because, natural milk cannot be sustained for a single day outside the freezer and it needs to be preserved after boiling at certain temperature and then freezing it. Whereas, the branded packed milk is made with less percentage of natural milk and more with chemicals lethal for the health of humans.
Openly supplied milk by cattle breeders / farmers (Negatives)
- Injections being used for buffaloes for milking (to get more quantity of milk then the natural)
- Use unhygenic water (not all but much percentage) in milk. The water is used to make milk more in quantity
- Use unhygenic ways to preserve and transfer it to the shops in cities
- Use detergent / chemicals
Branded milk by corporates (Negatives)
- Packaged milk brands in Pakistan are UHT (Ultra Heat Treatment) treated. UHT involves heating milk at a temperature of 135 degrees Celsius (which is above boiling point) for a few seconds and then cooling it down. What happens when milk is heated at such a high temperature? It loses its nutritional value, taste and smell. True, micro-bacteria are killed in this process, but we should also be aware of the fact that not all bacteria are bad for us and this process also kills the good ones.
- Once going through the UHT process, the milk we buy has an artificial smell and taste added to it. What I don’t know is whether additional nutrients are added to the milk or not. The process also involves homogenization, which ensures that milk and water are not separated (so curdling doesn’t happen). In a nutshell, the milk provided to us is nothing but treated liquid sold as milk.
- We all are unaware that what’s inside the packed milk product that we are taking in for years considering it to be pure milk. According to some sources, the composition used in branded packed milk includes: 1 kilogram milk, 1 kilogram cooking oil 10 kilogram water, 1 kilogram milk powder, Carboxymethyl cellulose (cmc) to increase viscosity of the product (so called milk), Urea (to replace LR), Detergent Liquid hydrogen to preserve milk over night, If it gets spilt, then caustic soda to make it reusable. I don’t think that anyone can consider a substance with such a composition to be milk or pure milk at least.
- Another thing to note is that the cattle is given artificial hormones to increase their milk production by using various substances like oxytocin. Oxytocin causes special changes in young females (affecting girls more than boys) and results in the early maturity of those individuals who utilize this product causing a dis balance in their personalities.
Hence, the product which is supplied to us in the name of pure milk by the cattle breeders / farmers (normally called gawala’s) and the milk products companies is highly poisonous and damaging to the human body. This product is also one of the reason for the hair fall and early loss of color of hair (silver/white hair appearance) along with many other problems occurring in human body. The use of chemicals in the milk by foreign or local companies for her preservation for several days which surely been used in the countries of the world but with proper check and balance where as in Pakistan, it wont be found at all.
Have you ever saw or noticed that a natural milk placed outside the freezer for at least 5 hours survives and drinkable…i dont think so …..So how this packed milk (if it is natural) even with 5 layers of packing can survive outside the freezing temperature?
The worst thing in Pakistan is that Government who is responsible for the safety of citizens is not playing its role and negligent.
A ban is required to be imposed on products, bottled water, the sale of quick growth poultry as well as the sale of injections being used for buffaloes for milking. Not only shocking is the news that we in Pakistan are all drinking something that is not even close to milk but also how ignorant we are all about what we ingest in the name of health. There was once a time when the companies had to aggressively push the idea that tetra pack milk’s safe and healthy, and now the same brands are creating health hazards for the users.